Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Meal Planning...or not? Includes recipe for Hot Pepper Turkey!

Good evening FiMmers!  

Were going to get right down to the topic of the week- Meal Planning! 

Planning multiple meals for the week takes a bit of thought and just enough time to rummage through this week's ad for items on sale. Furthermore, when you are feeding a family of three like me,  planning meals a month ahead and doubling up on cooking every other day prevents a stressful dinner time routine. Ideally, I like to have a few staples on hand (rices, grains, frozen veggies, etc) and buy the meats and fresh produce we need each week. Writing this all out helps me stay organized and there is little variability to worry about. I have even subscribed to various websites that offer recipes and shopping lists for ideas. Unfortunately, the last time I planned anything ahead of time was 5 weeks ago and today I felt all out of options for a quick and healthful meal.

I arrived at my local grocery store at half past four (idiot move- everybody and their mom was in line to check out) thinking I could drum up a fabulous Spring themed concoction while walking though the aisles. This was another not so smart idea; I just wanted box up all of the prepared foods and scarf them down immediately. So I gave up and dashed out the store refusing to buy anything other than my three year old's favorite yogurt. Between reviewing the alphabet, completing homework assignments, and pretending to be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles we needed to eat SOMETHING. I fell back on the basics and prepared my favorite 20 minute meal: poultry, rice, and vegetables. I know, I know...sounds super boring. And in reality it is. But when your working with a limited schedule and hungry tummies you learn to modify simple dishes. I cannot tell you how many times I have made this exact combination, but I can tell you that it is tasty and easy every time.

Disclosure: I do not use measuring cups or spoons. My taste buds tell me how much I need, so please view this more as a guide and modify amounts or substitute ingredients as you like.  This was more than enough for 5 servings, so plenty of left overs to enjoy! Also, if you have never eaten a scotch bonnet pepper or tasted a Jamaican pepper sauce, a cream (yogurt) base lessens the extreme heat.  

Hot Pepper Turkey with Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Mushrooms

Ingredients
12 ounces roasted turkey breast (cut into strips)
1 bunch of cilantro
6 ounces of plain Greek yogurt
4 tablespoons Jamaican scotch bonnet hot pepper sauce
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
8 ounces of whole mushrooms
1 pound of raw brussels sprouts (in microwavable bag)
2 bags of Multigrain Medley (10 minute)
 One tomato

Salt, pepper, and other seasonings on hand to taste
10 minute Multigrain Medley 


Directions
1.                 Preheat oven to 500’F [broil].
2.                 Line a baking sheet with foil.
3.                 Cut bag to vent and place Brussel sprouts in microwave for three minutes
4.                 Wash and wipe the whole mushrooms, cut them into half inch chunks.
5.                 Remove Brussel sprouts from  bag and cut in half
6.                 In a bowl, drizzle 3 tablespoons of olive oil over the mushrooms and Brussel sprouts.
7.                 Season with salt free Cajun seasoning, paprika, and cumin.
8.                 Place veggies on foil lined pan and broil for 10 minutes.  
9.                 Prepare rice as directed.
10.           Flip vegetables with a spatula and broil another five minutes or until golden brown.
11.           Mix yogurt, scotch bonnet pepper sauce, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and turkey strips in bowl.
12.           Add the rinsed and finely cut cilantro to the mixture, then season to taste with salt, paprika, and cumin.  
13.           Serve with sliced tomato and enjoy!



Hot Pepper Turkey 
Roasted Brussel sprouts and mushrooms

No comments:

Post a Comment